An integral part of jewelry making, clasps and toggles are designed to hold jewelry securely in place, as well as provide the finishing touch on a design. Clasps offer both functionality and style so you can be sure to find the perfect closure to complement each design. There are many different types of clasps, from trigger clasps and lobsters, to hook and eye sets, magnetic clasps and more. You can find the style that’s right for your projects among high-quality choices.
One of the most underappreciated features of a piece of jewelry is its clasp. A jewelry clasp, or jewelry fastener, is the mechanism that allows a necklace or bracelet to easily be put on and taken off without causing any damage. Some fasteners are meant to be hidden, while others are a key element to the design.
There are several types of claps used in jewelry making. Some clasps are easier to use, while others hold more securely. When you are shopping for jewelry, it is important to know how each clasp type works to decide whether or not the jewelry is right for you. Please check the tips to choose the best jewelry clasps for your collection.
It is important to always take into consideration the overall design, for example – if you have a minimal necklace featuring one bead it will probably look better using a minimal clasp such as a bolt ring. If you choose to make a heavy design featuring lots of beads, you may want to add an extra dimension to the design and help make sure it’s secure with a toggle clasp.
Classic Jewelry Clasp Types
- Ball clasp: It is also called a bead clasp, a ball clasp is a round, spherical jewelry fastener. Sometimes adorned with gemstones or texturing, ball clasps provide a decorative closure that flows with the design of a necklace or bracelet.
- Lobster clasp: Named after the pinching style of the hook, a lobster clasp is often shaped like a lobster’s claw. It works the lever to open the clasp and release it to close. This fastener fits a round ring into an oval clasp. Many people find the lobster-claw clasp easier to use than the spring ring. The lobster-claw clasp is commonly found on necklaces.
- Barrel clasp: It is a small barrel or torpedo-shaped closure that fastens two ends together through a screw, box or hook-insert mechanism. It is a great design element to complete and close your bracelet or necklace. This type of clasp is created by two metal barrel ends that screw into one another for a secure and stylish hold. It is cylinder-shaped screw clasps and comes in various sizes, from almost too small to handle to very large and sturdy. For very elegant designs, choose narrow styles rather than sturdy, thick barrels.
- Hook clasp: It uses an easy hook-on, hook-off motion. A curved piece at the bottom of the hook catches onto a loop or circle to hold it in place. It works on the principle that the tension or weight on the strand keeps the hooks fastened together. It is a simple hook that is easy to fasten but is less secure than other clasps. The hook clasp is very attractive, especially on simple bracelets.
- Box clasp (Pressure clasp): It involves a tab inserted into a decorative box. Usually, with some kind of safety to secure the closure, a box clasp is traditionally used for tennis styles and hinged bracelets. Two-piece clasps that open when the exterior side lever is pushed, compressing the mechanism so that it slides out of the opening. To close, simply push it back in and it will easily click into place. This is one of the most secure bracelet clasps and can usually be fastened and unfastened with just one hand.
- Pearl clasp: Finish your pearl necklaces or any other jewelry designs with it. These clasps are traditionally used with pearls because they have a classic look to them that matches the sophistication and elegance pearls bring to jewelry designs, but that doesn’t mean you are limited to using just pearls. These clasps would look lovely in any project. They typically feature a box clasp design that’s easy to open and close but remains secure.
- Springring clasp: Invented in the early 1900s, a spring-ring clasp is small and highly effective. It is a hollow circular metal fastener with a spring opening that keeps the clasp closed.
- Fishhook clasp: It is a delicate fastener that involves a hook inserted into an oval encasing. This style of closure creates a fancy look for lightweight necklaces and bracelets.
- Push-button clasp: It clicks into place. The mechanism relies on a lever or button which needs to be pushed In order to release the closure.
- Snap clasp: It is commonly used in watches and bracelets. On one side of the jewelry piece will sit a small metal tongue with a tiny perpendicular metal piece. The metal tongue is inserted through a loop on the other side of the jewelry piece and is snapped into place.
Special Fine Jewelry Clasps
- Buckle clasp: Sometimes it is used as a clasp for leather or material bracelets, a buckle clasp features the same mechanism as a classic belt buckle. The buckle straps one end through a loop and secures it with a hinged prong that inserts into a hole and rests against a metal frame. It works particularly well for bracelets. One end of the bracelet has a horseshoe-shaped piece of metal with a bar in the middle, while the other end has holes or notches. Simply insert the notched end of the bracelet into the metal end and place the metal bar into one of the holes to secure. It can sometimes be difficult to close but is ideal for bracelets.
- Toggle clasp: It is a two-piece jewelry fastener that closes when a t-shaped or decorative bar is threaded through a circular loop. This stylized clasp type often serves as the centerpiece of a design. This clasp has a bar that fits through a ring. It is decorative as well as utilitarian, and many toggle clasps are covered in gemstones and gold to add style to the bracelet. Toggle clasps are among the easiest to use and can quickly be fastened with just one hand.
- Concealed clasp: It is one that is hidden within the design of the piece, so as to not interrupt the flow of the appearance.
- Slide clasp: It secures closure with two bars that slide into a locked position.
- Ladder: It is an old-fashioned fastener used for watches. With one end-piece resembling a two-spoke ladder, the foldover side can be hooked into one of two slots to adjust the size.
- Magnetic clasp: It relies on a magnet to hold the necklace or bracelet together, allowing for easy-on, easy-off closure. It is held together by very strong magnets. It is easy to hook together because the magnets are attracted to each other, but it won’t come apart easily because the magnets are so strong. Magnetic clasps are secure, easy to close and work well for both necklaces and bracelets. But they are best suited to lightweight bracelets and necklaces since they unfasten easily. Don’t recommend for use by women who are pregnant or those who have pacemakers, due to the strong magnetic field they create.
- Swivel clasp: It is a type of lobster clasp that can turn 360 degrees at the base.
Some necklaces and bracelets are designed in order to not require a clasp.
- Endless: Endless necklaces have a clasp-free design that allows for truly uninterrupted flow. These necklaces, commonly bead or pearl, are long enough to slip over the head without struggle and can often be wrapped multiple times to create a layered look.
- Slip-on: Slip-on bracelets are bangles or cuffs that have a wide opening. Simply squeeze your hand inward and slide the bracelet on. When you relax your hand, the bracelet will stay securely on.
- Stretch: Stretch bracelets are an adjustable style that relies on a coil or elastic cord. These bracelets stretch and conform to fit most wrists.
Jewelry Safety Clasps
Jewelry safety clasps are in the category of jewelry findings. You can find safeties in bracelets, watches, necklaces, and pins and they are used in order to provide extra security to the closure. Often they are used to supplement the main clasp and other times they are used to protect the point of a pin. Pin, necklace, and bracelet safety clasps come in several different styles to accommodate certain needs and designs.
- Safety chains: They are attached to both sides of the opening for a necklace or bracelet. It provides an extra measure of security in case the main clasp fails.
- Single latch safety: A single latch is a hinged supplemental clasp that gives extra security to the closure of a necklace or bracelet.
- Double latch: It is a safety mechanism that secures the clasp of a bracelet or necklace using two safety latches.
- Hook safety: It is a mechanism that uses a hook or C-shaped piece to secure a pin or clasp.
- Figure 8 safety: It is a hinged safety lock with a cinched middle that clips over a button. It is used to either supplement a clasp or to keep a hinged bangle bracelet closed.
- Revolver safety: It conceals the point of a brooch pin and keeps it in place with a revolving lever mechanism.
- Push-pull safety: Seen mostly on estate pins, it is a tube-like mechanism that slides over the end of the pin to secure it.
Dsmile Pack of 12pcs Gold Color and Silver Color Magnetic Lobster Clasp for Jewelry Necklace Bracelet
They are wonderful, easy to work with, and have made it very easy to wear necklaces. Attaching these to the necklace chain is a very simple process and has made wearing your jewelry an absolute joy again! If you need extra length to pieces it is great. The best part is it is easier to put on and take off due to the magnets if you have a fussy clasp. These are made more for a necklace which is lighter and finer than a medic alert bracelet.
YMCAFZ Layered Necklace Spacer Clasp, 3 Strands Necklaces Slide Magnetic Tube Lock with Lobster Clasps
It really is a smart way to keep your necklaces from tangling and lying flat- you can adjust the length easily with these. So handy for layering necklaces. This spacer reduced the tangling significantly. They are separated and lay nicely. The clasp itself slides apart so it is easier to put on and remove once you set up your necklaces. It makes life so much easier. It is very helpful and sturdy. It works and looks very nice.
The layered necklace spacer clasp keeps the layered necklaces from getting tangled while wearing. 2 pcs of necklace spacer clasp for different color necklaces use. Both of 2 detangle clasps are made of brass, one gold plated and the other silver plated. Lightweight and not easy to fade. Compared with the general magnetic clasp, this necklace connector is a slide lock and is safer. These necklet clasps are great for such jewelry makings as multilayer choker, necklaces, and bracelet. You can mix and match any necklaces and change them as often as you like. Create endless layering combinations of layers.
cnomg 50 pcs Swivel Clasps Lanyard Snap Hook, cnomg Metal Swivel Lanyard Snap Hook Lobster Claw Clasp
These 50 pieces swivel clasps lanyard snap hooks can use for a long time. And it is a little small for a common size. You can refer to the picture compared to hand. There are a variety of colors available to choose from, each color is available according to customer needs. It is a perfect accessory for all kinds of bags. If you have a lot of wallets, backpacks, handbags, and cardholders. This will be a good accessory for a chain. It works great for your bag chain activity. It is a perfect decoration of various DIY, as well. These small accessories can be used for a variety of DIY decorations. As long as you can think of it, you can use it.
Swpeet 12Pcs Magnetic Lobster Clasps Kit, Including 4 Pieces Rhinestone Ball Magnetic Clasps, 4 Pieces Ball Magnetic Clasps, and 4 Pieces Cuboids Magnetic Clasps
These clasps make putting necklaces on easier. The magnets are strong to keep a necklace on. The clasp magnet would break apart if pulled hard enough. This kit comes with a variety of different styles to suit many of your jewelry needs. They make life easy! And they seem very durable; not made cheaply. They are perfect for converting pesky necklace clasps into a simple magnetic clasp or for those suffering from arthritis.
The magnet is incredible. Anyone would love this addition to her necklaces. Because the magnet is so strong, it is a bit heavy; so pull the magnet back a bit behind your neck so that it does not roll forward. This slight inconvenience is still very much worth the purchase and use of these magnets. They are easy to attach and so far stay put. They look nice too. You will see how long the magnets last. Just attach these magnetic clasps to your favorite piece of jewelry, snap open, snap closed, and you are done! It is that easy!
Everyday Elegance Magnetic Clasp Converter for Necklaces or Bracelets
It is a good buy, a nice color of gold, and a strong magnet. The magnet is very strong and keeps the bracelet connected most of the time. These clasps are designed to be lightweight, yet strong enough to keep the magnetic connection. The silver is combined with the most powerful rare earth magnets on the market today, so the clasp will stay secure until you are ready to remove the necklace.
This magnetic clasp allows you to easily convert your necklaces and bracelets with a difficult clasp to an effortless magnetic clasp. Simply attach the spring ring on the converter to the jump ring at the end of your necklace. There are two magnetic clasp styles in this listing. The smaller of the two has a spring-ring clasp and measures 4mm wide and 15.7mm long, which converts to .157″ x .618″. The larger style has a lobster clasp and safety latch that measures 6.6 mm wide, and 32.8mm long, which converts to .26″ wide x 1.3″ long.
Aiskaer 16 Pcs Magnetic Lobster Clasps
These are awesome! They are easy to attach and so far stay put. They look nice too. This style looks like it belongs to modern styles. They appear very well made and are easy to attach to your bracelet or necklace. Best of all, they are encrusted with pave bling making the magnet a beautiful link rather than an afterthought.
There are 3 different styles includes rhinestone ball style, cylindrical and ball tone lobster clasp. You can match your diverse styles of pieces of jewelry. Just attach these magnetic clasps to your favorite piece of jewelry, snap open, snap closed, and you are done! It is that easy! The package includes 16 pieces of magnetic clasps.
PH Pandahall 30 Sets (6 Style, 5sets/Style) Antique Silver Tibetan Style Alloy Ring Toggle Clasp Sets Lead Free
They are a good quality toggle clasp. They are on the small side, so use for smaller projects and closures. If you are looking for a larger clasp, get a larger size. These will fit a standard bracelet size, such as a single strand and no bigger than 10mm beads for the project. This toggle has a simple design to go with a piece of jewelry. It is a perfect size! It is not too big to make your design unbalanced but still easy for your hands to work.
These are great for necklaces that close in the front and add a lovely embellishment. They are good for those who may have difficulty putting on a necklace with a traditional small lobster clasp. There are 6 different styles available and more styles can offer you more choices for your DIY craft needs.
Heather’s cf 130 Set Toggle Jewelry Clasps
These clasps are great! They are great quality and have held up very well with everyday use in bracelet making. Jewelry clasp toggle closure for bracelet making, clasp jewelry for necklaces making, end clasps for jewelry, toggle jewelry clasps.
Kissitty 50-Piece Tibetan Antique Silver Large Heart Lobster Claw
They are heavy, sturdy clasps, great if you don’t want to struggle with smaller lobster clasps. They are really nice quality and a perfect size. The design is so cute, it really adds to the look of whatever you make. Lobster claw clasps are used with a jump ring or chain link to make a complete clasp.
Beadthoven 120 Set 11 Style Tibetan Style Antique Silver Bronze Golden Toggle Clasps
This toggle clasps feature a simple Tibetan design to go with a piece of jewelry. Mini size makes your design unbalanced but still easy for your hands to work. Just put the bar into the toggle and make the bar horizontal, it can be closely buckled. This toggle has a simple design to go with a piece of jewelry. It is a perfect size! It is not too big to make your design unbalanced but still easy for your hands to work.
The package includes 120 set toggle clasps in total, 11 different styles and 10 set for each style. These styles include ring, donut, flower, and heart. More styles can offer you more choices for your needs. Great for jewelry making such as necklaces, bracelets, chokers, extenders, or anklets: Also good for crafting and scrapbooking; Compatible with different materials such as pearls, gemstones, leather, or beads and jewelry findings such as jump rings and chains.
uGems 2 Sterling Silver Converters Magnetic Clasps
They are wonderful. Tiny and pretty hard to handle to get them on the necklace or bracelet. It takes one second to put it on rather than fooling around with the lobster claw or whatever type of closure is on your necklace. These are perfect for getting in and out of tight bracelets. This model is not for large lobster clasps; please use only for converting small necklaces. Keep in mind that, do not use if you use a pacemaker, insulin pump or defibrillator.
Chenkou Craft 1 Box Around 300pcs 7 Colors Lobster Clasp Jewelry Making Repairing
Strong and do not break easily, some of them are a bit hard to open the first time but that’s better than not staying shut. These work well with your jewelry and you will have not had any complaints regarding the quality and sturdiness. Good price and acceptable quality.
Evelots Magnetic Jewelry Clasps-Rhinestone Ball-Nickel Free
The clasps are gorgeous and there are 8 pairs to the pack. They are also heavy, so each clasp should be paired with an equally heavy chain. Very nice small-sized magnetic clasps that are strong and look very elegant on your silver-chained necklaces. They are also very easy to install on even the tiniest loops. This clasp opens very easily, but the magnet is definitely strong enough that it doesn’t fall off–you actually have to pull it closer to the clasp to get it to separate.
Since each clasp is heavy and large (for example size of pencil eraser tip), it would not look good paired with a very thin chain. The only downside is that the rhinestone is so bulky that you feel this lump at the back of your neck. Not a huge issue, just not flat like your necklace. Perfect gift idea for anyone who wears jewelry, especially those with arthritis or senior jewelry wearers who may have difficulty with traditional clasps.
iloveDIYbeads 300pcs Mixed Metal Pinch Clip Clasp Bail Finish Necklace Clasps Pendant Clasps
Great product, very strong, no need to solder the ends. It is a metal, lead, and nickel free product.
Aiskaer 8 Pcs Locking Magnetic Clasps Magnetic Clasps for Jewelry
The magnetic clasps are drawn together easily when you bring them near to each other, making it easier to put your jewelry on either from the front or the back. It looks and works well, feels nice and is inexpensive. They are made in a unique way that they don’t give easily but will open easily when you want to take off your necklace. Magnetic clasps are strong enough to stay clipped yet come apart when you need them to. These are perfect for converting pesky necklace clasps into a simple magnetic clasp or for those suffering from arthritis.
The package includes 4 pieces of silver magnetic clasps, 4 pieces of gold magnetic clasps and silk gift bag packaging. So, it is easy to carry and storage.
1-inch Antique Brass Curved Lobster Clasps Swivel Trigger Clips Snap
This is great for purse straps – swivel – nice shine – looks great. It is suitable for 1-inch width strap webbing. It fits for a shoulder bag, backpack and luggage replacement. There are two different color options available according to your needs which are silver and antique brass. It has a 360-degree rotary.
PH Pandahall 40 Sets 20.5mm Drop Tibetan Silver Toggle Clasps
These are perfect for using with 6 mm-10 mm beaded bracelets. They are very pretty and have a good weight for their small size. Toggle clasps made by alloy are long-wearing and easy to preserve. With the lustrous appearance and inventive design, it is popular in bracelet and necklace design. Just put the bar into the toggle and make the bar horizontal, it can be closely buckled.
PH PandaHall 20 Sets Tibetan Style Rose IQ Toggle Clasps
They are a good quality toggle clasp. They are on the small side, so use for smaller projects and closures. If you are looking for a larger clasp, get a larger size. These will fit a standard bracelet size, such as a single strand and no bigger than 10mm beads for the project. Just put the bar into the toggle and make the bar horizontal, it can be closely buckled.
This toggle has a simple design to go with a piece of jewelry. It is a perfect size! It is not too big to make your design unbalanced but still easy for your hands to work. These are great for necklaces that close in the front and add a lovely embellishment. They are good for those who may have difficulty putting on a necklace with a traditional small lobster clasp.
PH PandaHall 96 Sets 12 Style Tibetan Style Alloy Antique Silver Toggle TBar Clasps Findings Jewelry Making (Flower, Butterfly, Leaf, Drop, Heart, Donut, Triangle)
More styles can offer you more choices for your DIY craft needs. Just put the bar into the toggle and make the bar horizontal, it can be closely buckled. This toggle has a simple design to go with a piece of jewelry. It is a perfect size! It is not too big to make your design unbalanced but still easy for your hands to work. These are great for necklaces that close in the front and add a lovely embellishment. They are good for those who may have difficulty putting on a necklace with a traditional small lobster clasp.
PH PandaHall 24 Sets 6 Color Rhinestone Ball Magnetic Beads Clasp
These magnetic closures are wonderful! They are quite attractive and hold really well. These magnets are strong and yet easy to remove if you slide them apart sideways instead of pulling them away from each other. No more fumbling with tiny clasps each morning; simply attach to your favorite necklaces and bracelets for instant accessorizing.
There are 6 different colors available which are antique bronze, gunmetal, golden, platinum, red copper, silver. These can offer you more color choices and meet your different crafts needs.
Bingcute Jewelry Findings Kit 10mm Lobster Claw Clasps and Jump Rings for Jewelry Making Supplies
These are great, exactly what is advertised. It is a great set for jewelry makers and repairers. The packaging is small because the items are smaller in size. There are 25 lobster claw clasps per color. There are 150 jump rings per color. Keep in mind that please keep them far away from kids to avoid chocking.
Quacoww 24 Pcs Magnetic Lobster Clasps for Jewelry Necklace Bracelet Spherical Cylindrical Inlaid Rhinestone Spherical
A variety of silver or gold color and choice of “fancy” or “plain “go with necklace (or bracelet) assortment is great and easy to attach! They are very handy for very small clasps that are hard to work. Good product for someone with limited hand movement and can no longer do lobster claws. The set includes spherical, cylindrical and inlaid rhinestone spherical three styles, the colors are gold, silver and rose gold.